Q. My mother had a pulse rate of 53. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

My Mother had a pulse rate of 53 this evening in the manual count using her left arm pulse. Earlier, She had 133 mm Hg systolic pressure and 92 mm Hg diastolic pressure, and her pulse rate was 79 BPM. Can you please tell me there is anything to be concerned about?

#

I went through your query for your mother with a reduced heart rate (bradycardia). I would like to know the following details about her present problem:

1. Does she have any known cardiac disease in the past?
  2. Is she taking any medicines for her heart problem or blood pressure? If yes, please mention the names of those medicines.
  3. Is she having any symptoms and low heart rates like giddiness or lightheadedness or any episode of loss of consciousness?

A low heart rate can be normal physiology, depending on the activities the person is doing. For example, in every individual during sleep, the heart rate is low, rising when we are awake. But in the elderly, there could be a conduction abnormality due to age-related degenerative changes.

If you have any recent ECG (electrocardiogram), please share the images as well. Kindly get back with the above details and available ECG reports, Echo (echocardiography) for further discussion and management.

Take care.

|