Q. Does a fall cause brain and IQ damage in a baby?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter of 6 months old had a fall yesterday from 20 inches height. She had a hit on the backside of her head. She cried loudly and I immediately applied lot of water on the backside of her head. She became fine within a minute and she is totally fine now. Will it affect her intelligence or IQ level? My mother says that if head of the baby gets hit at early stage it can cause brain damage or may affect intelligence level. Please explain. Should I check her IQ once she is little grown up like 5 or 6 years of age?

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Fall from height does cause injury, a known fact.
  • Human body has protective mechanisms against such accidents. One is bony skull, which prevents force to hit brain inside. It is not that effective in children. Next is fluid inside the skull surrounding brain does prevent from force of injury in children.
  • Coming to damage of IQ (intelligence quotient), one cannot predict how much the child has affected.
  • Few points which may say child is fine are as follows.
  1. Child is active and feeding well.
  2. Child is involving in surrounding things and growth that is milestones are achieved according to age.
  • Children at each age have to develop particular milestones. If such things are occur normally then you need not worry and no need to check IQ.
  • If you find anywhere that child is not achieving milestones normally, please get check up with pediatric doctor and no need to wait till 5 or 6 years of age.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What ayurvedic medicine can be given to my little one to increase her alertness?

Query: Hello doctor, This is with regards to my daughter who is 2 years and eight months old. I have noticed that she is slow in activities. She is very laid back and relaxed. I have a feeling that she has an imbalance of vata, pitta, and kapha. I mean if she can be either low on pitta or vata as per my un...  Read Full »

One of my baby's eyeballs appears to be deeper. Will it get corrected on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one and a half months old. One of her eyeballs appears to be more inside than the other. What should we do? Should we consult a specialist or will it get alright as the baby grows?  Read Full »

My brother has got HIE and heart attack. When can he return to normal?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is 51 years old. He has got HIE status after MRI reports. He had a sudden heart attack. Can he be cured? When can he return to his normal life?  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now