Q. My brother is affected by neurological disease and cannot open his eyes. Why?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Nov 22, 2019

My younger brother is 18 years old. He was very healthy. He was attacked by neurological disease now. Currently, he is getting treatment, and his current situation is stable. He can walk, eat, and talk but he cannot open his eyelids nor he can see things even we open his eyelids forcibly.

I am attaching his reports. Please check and advise what type of treatment would be better for him. What has caused not to open his eyelids?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I read your uploaded reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I would explain that they indicate a brain infection, coupled with small strokes, probably related to the infection. For this reason, the main thing to do is to diagnose and treat the infection. I would recommend a lumbar puncture and analysis for tuberculosis, Lyme disease and other types of infections. It is important consulting with an infectious disease specialist. Steroids may be necessary, coupled with blood thinners to prevent future strokes.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

| 

May you please check his diagnosis reports and share your opinion.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

All the tests in the cerebrospinal fluid have resulted negative. It seems to be a bacterial infection of the brain and meninges. I agree with the therapy. There is nothing to add. Follow up with a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) after three months is recommended.

| 

Will he be able to see again? As per eye doctor's opinion, there is no issue in eyes. What has caused not to open his eyelids? Even we forcefully open his eyelids, he can not see things, why?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

The loss of vision is related to the increased intracranial pressure and the damage to the optic tracts. We cannot make predictions if the damage is irreversible or not. But a long time of recovery (six months) is necessary to see if he will improve. In my opinion, his situation is going to improve with time.

| 

Is my daughter's ear problem neurological?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has nerve hearing loss of around 50 % in left ear along with tinnitus since 10 years. She is 22 now. On the second of this month, she had put a drop of oil in the left ear. In finding herself uncomfortable, she visited an ENT, who put her on antibiotics for middle ear infectio...  Read Full »