Q. Can scattered white matter lesion of unsure etiology be suspected for MS?

Dr. Vivek Chail

The radiologist stated scattered white matter lesions but does not tell the location, or size. They state as unsure etiology or clinical significance. The ordering physician suspects MS due to symptoms like disorientation, incontinence, and body pain.

If the radiologist suspected MS would not they state the size and location? And diagnoses suspected disease or kind of lesion? Was this a poor report? Or was he basically not sure of what is going on? I leave it up to the ordering doctor. I have done blood for lupus, arthritis, Lyme disease, and complete blood test.

#

The few scattered white matter lesions could mean that there are areas in the white matter of brain which are seen as small pinhead size on T2 and flair sequence. This is commonly from small vessel ischemic changes and is seen usually in older age and slightly uncommon in the young population. The cause is sometimes unknown.

Suspicion of MS (multiple sclerosis) is by diagnostic criteria and matching it with clinical examination. There is McDonalds criteria for imaging in MS and if the radiologist did not mention any findings which are under these criteria then it is unlikely to be MS from this scan. The criteria specify that the patient might require a subsequent MRI scan and the new scan is compared with the old one to make a probable diagnosis of MS in you.

It is clear that the findings are less likely to be from MS on this scan. Talking about radiologists, every person has their comfortable style of reporting and I feel mentioning the location of the larger white matter lesions would have been good for your ordering doctor. I will not say this is a poor report but surely it can be improved by providing the size and location of the larger white matter lesions.

| 

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »

I have memory loss, confusion, and I hear sounds. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I hear sounds, which are not necessarily voices, and I cannot focus on text or computer. I have memory loss, confusion, and forgetfulness. These symptoms have become relevant from the past week. I suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, and OCD. I am under Lexapro, Abilify, Mirtazapine, a...  Read Full »

What causes severe headache in right temple?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 9 years old and has a typical headache at right temple. The headache, she says, is more or less constant and not severe in the day but is intense at night. She sleeps at around 10:00 PM and wakes up around 12:15 AM to 12:30 AM. This is when she cries as she is not able ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Interventional Radiologist Now