Q. Kindly suggest the alternative medicine for the hormone blocking injections in the treatment of breast cancer?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 13, 2019

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer early this year. She underwent MRM surgery and now undergoing chemotherapy. Her age is 57, and the doctor advised for eight cycles of chemotherapy. Now she completed five cycles, and now the doctor had advised 17 more injections for hormone blocking. We find 17 more injections are too much and will be highly stressful for my mother. Could you please suggest an alternative treatment.

I have attached a few essential reports for your reference. Please let me know if you need any more details.

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Her cancer will be her 2 neu positive, in this scenario, it is mandatory to give 17 injections of Trastuzumab, otherwise chances of recurrence are high. As far as cost is concern, you can get some other way, like hospital cost is very inflated, get it administered at a small center, you can get injections from wholesale yourself, and you can go for generic drug.

Is it possible to get pills instead of injections or at least can be the number of injections be reduced?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Pills cannot be taken as they would not be so useful. Injections can be reduced but depending on the progress and symptoms, but generally, a full number of injections is safer to prevent the relapse of cancer.

Related Video

Having chemotherapy for stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma. Is it right?

Query: Hi doctor, The first case of cancer was on stage 3 ER+ invasive cancer of the left breast. Now, it is in stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma, with results of ER positive, PR positive, and HER2 with equivocal recurrent cancer. The site of disease is present on the abdominal lymph nodes and omentum w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar
Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is appropriate to use chemotherapy at this juncture. The HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) result is mentioned as equivocal. So please do a FISH test (fluorescence...  Read Full

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

How to improve WBC count following chemotherapy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I am suffering from acute lymphoblastic lymphoma and I am going to finish my last chemotherapy. My WBC count has reduced due to discontinuation of GCSF. After the completion of chemotherapy session, how to recover WBC count? Please suggest me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. GCSF (granulocyte-colony stimulating factor) is given for immediate recovery followed by chemotherapy as chemotherapy causes excessive suppression of the bone marrow. The body has its own mechanism to produce GCSF and it will take usually a few weeks to start producing an...  Read Full

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now