Q. My sister is diagnosed with IDC. Please advice.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

My sister is diagnosed with IDC measuring 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.2 cm. Please advice.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The biopsy report has confirmed the diagnosis of breast cancer. The next step will be staging for the disease. For that, she will be adviced to do a CT scan for chest, abdomen, and pelvis with isotope bone scan and mammogram of the bilateral breasts. Once the staging work is completed, she will be planned for the oncological treatment.

Various treatment options are available for breast cancer like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, hormonal and target therapy. They are planned after the completion of staging workup, and after the pathological and molecular details of a tumor are available. The low-risk breast cancer or good prognostic breast cancer depends upon the following factors like stage 1 or 2, hormone receptors are positive, HER-2/neu (CD 340) negative, lymph nodes negative for metastasis, Ki-67 (protein) low, and postmenopausal status.

|