Q. My breast are large, swollen and nipples are purplish and sensitive. Kindly help.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am a 28-year-old woman, and I am experiencing swollen and larger breasts and an enlarged, swollen, and purple nipple on my right side. And I have had sensitive nipples for at least a month.

Would you please give your opinion?

#

I understand your concern. Kindly let me know the following things. Is this the first time you have observed this pain? Is it related to your menstrual cycle? Do you have any nipple discharge? If sexually active, have you missed a period? Have you checked whether you are pregnant with a UPT (urine pregnancy test)? Are there any lumps palpable when you palpate your breast? These answers can help me explain the condition and suggests solutions better.

So kindly revert.

Thank you for responding.

I get this pain for the third time over the past year, and it may be related to my cycle. I am due to start my period in five days. I have never noticed any nipple discharge. I had my last period regularly, and I am scheduled for my next periods in a week. I have not checked for pregnancy till now. There are no lumps on palpation. The sensitivity and slight pain is my main concern, especially with my areola looking purple and so enlarged compared to my left breast.

Kindly give your suggestion.

#

What you are experiencing could be due to either of the two causes.

The first cause may be cervical mastalgia, which means breast tenderness and occurs before the onset of menstrual periods. It is due to changes in the hormonal levels, especially the estrogen and progesterone, which can lead to dilated veins on the skin covering your nipples and breast, leading to purple discoloration and tenderness on the breast. This can also be the reason for your areolar swelling. It may or may not occur during all your cycles. It is a benign condition for which I suggest Vitamin E capsules 400 mg (antioxidant) and primrose oil capsules 1000 mg (essential fatty acid ) daily. The second may be due to pregnancy which causes the same hormonal changes (estrogen and progesterone) causes breast engorgement, pain, purple discoloration. Hence in case of a delayed period, kindly check with a urine pregnancy test.

I hope this was helpful.

|