Q. I am having severe pain in breast while breastfeeding. Please advice.

Dr. Sabita Laskar
Published on Jul 30, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2019

I am having severe pain in breast while breastfeeding. The pain is present only in the right breast while feeding. My son is 24 days old and I had started feeding since day 3. From then, I have been suffering from this pain. Though it is painful, I am still feeding him.

Please advice.

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You have not mentioned the specific site where you get the pain. Is it in and around the nipple or is it deep inside?

If the pain is in and around the nipple, then it is most likely due to faulty technique while feeding. These are the instructions for proper breastfeeding technique:

1. Make sure that you insert not only the nipple but the whole areola (the dark-colored area around the nipple) into baby's mouth. By this way, the nipple lies touching the baby's hard palate while sucking.
  2. Also, do not forget to rest the baby's head in the corner of your elbow.
  3. While feeding, your baby's tummy should touch your tummy.

Now considering that you are not doing any faulty technique or posture and still getting the pain deep inside:

1. It could be due to opening of milk ducts each time the baby sucks.
  2. Also check out if there is any congestion, i.e., milk clogging in your breast.
  3. Also, see for any crack in your nipple which is very common in the initial days of lactation.
  4. Examine your breast with the palm of your hand, and if you could notice any lump in your breast, it could be milk trapped inside.

In any of the above reasons, you have to visit a gynecologist as soon as possible.

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

How to unplug blocked nipple pores?

Query: Hi doctor, My child is 4 months old. Since birth, he is on formula feed because my breast pores have been blocked. I really want to breastfeed him. Please suggest a way to feed my child.  Read Full »

Ask a Lactation Counselor Now