Q. I have sharp shooting pain in my right breast, and I am breastfeeding. Please help.

Dr. Payas Joshi

I have pain in my right breast. I have this pain for the past three days, and the pain is a kind of sharp shooting pain inside the breast from the armpit until the nipple. Currently, I am breastfeeding a 23-day-old baby.

I am currently on postnatal vitamin C.

#

Welcome to iclinic.com.

I would like you to examine and see if there is just pain or tenderness to touch. At times there is breast engorgement, which may cause pain. Are you feeding the child from both breasts? Both breasts should empty milk so that they do not get engorged. Also, see if there are any cuts or whether the nipples are sore. Is there any fever episode as well? Have you taken anything for pain?

Take Paracetamol 500 mg every eight hours for two days to subside pain or any inflammation. You can apply milk itself on nipples if they are sore.

Yes, there is tenderness on deep touch in a small linear area from the armpit to the nipple in the right breast. I am trying to breast massage via youtube guidance by lactation consultants. I shall take Paracetamol as advised by you.

I am concerned if this inflammation will go away with continuous breastfeeding and Paracetamol alone? I am worried if surgery or similar interventions, etc., will be needed?

#

Most likely, it should get resolved. Also, monitor your temperature and look for fever. If there is no improvement in the next 36-48 hours, you should probably get yourself examined.

|