Q. Is it safe to take Carbamazepine while breastfeeding?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a mother of 1 month old baby, who is exclusively breastfed. My baby is healthy and gaining normal weight. The problem is that he sleeps a lot. I have been taking Carbamazepine and Eslicarbazepine tablets for partial seizures. Are these tablets safe while breastfeeding? When I consulted my neurologist, he said that they are safe as long as your baby is healthy and developing normally. But, I am worried about his sleep patterns. Should I think about switching to formula milk?

#

• Your doctor is right. Carbamazepine can get secreted in breast milk and it is the safest antiepileptic during lactation.
  • 1 month old baby sleeps a lot. They can sleep for about 18 to 20 hours a day. They will wake up only for feeds.
  • As long as the baby is gaining weight, it is fine.
  • Also, note that keeping your baby on breast milk has many advantages over formula. Breast milk has enzymes, which help in better digestion.
  • Breast milk also contains various antibodies produced in your body, which provides immunity to the newborn.
  • It is recommended that you breastfeed your baby for at least up to 6 months of age.

For further information consult a lactation counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/lactation-counselor

|