Q. Is it safe to take Carbamazepine while breastfeeding?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a mother of 1 month old baby, who is exclusively breastfed. My baby is healthy and gaining normal weight. The problem is that he sleeps a lot. I have been taking Carbamazepine and Eslicarbazepine tablets for partial seizures. Are these tablets safe while breastfeeding? When I consulted my neurologist, he said that they are safe as long as your baby is healthy and developing normally. But, I am worried about his sleep patterns. Should I think about switching to formula milk?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Your doctor is right. Carbamazepine can get secreted in breast milk and it is the safest antiepileptic during lactation.
  • 1 month old baby sleeps a lot. They can sleep for about 18 to 20 hours a day. They will wake up only for feeds.
  • As long as the baby is gaining weight, it is fine.
  • Also, note that keeping your baby on breast milk has many advantages over formula. Breast milk has enzymes, which help in better digestion.
  • Breast milk also contains various antibodies produced in your body, which provides immunity to the newborn.
  • It is recommended that you breastfeed your baby for at least up to 6 months of age.

For further information consult a lactation counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/lactation-counselor

| 

Please suggest formula milk for weight gain and overall development.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has completed four months. Please suggest the best formula milk for weight gain and overall development.  Read Full »

Ibuprofen

Article Overview: Ibuprofen belongs to NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) group which act on the substances in the body that are responsible for inflammation and its signs and symptoms. Thus, it prevents swelling, pain, and fever. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M
General Medicine Physician

Ibuprofen When the pain gets unbearable, it is the medicine that we turn to. One of the most commonly available or prescribed painkillers is Ibuprofen which is available in the brand names of Brufen, Nurofen, Motrin, and Advil. Introduction of Ibuprofen Ibuprofen belongs to NSAIDs (non-steroidal ...  Read Article

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Ask a Lactation Counselor Now