Q. My 2. 3-year-old daughter does not stop breastfeeding, especially in sleep. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I have a 2.3 years old baby girl. She is still breastfeeding. It was my decision to breastfeed her till she turns 2 years. I can breastfeed her a few times a day, but she seems to obsess over it now. Especially when she is sleeping, while she is awake, I tell her the milk is not coming and give her a bottle, and she does not mind. But when she is sleeping, at noon or at night, she keeps sucking the whole night. I am really tired and not able to sleep as it is very uncomfortable to lie on one side the whole night, and also, she sometimes bites me in her sleep. If I deny her while she is sleeping, she starts crying loudly and hits us too. She does not sleep without nipples in her mouth all the time. I am really tired and sleep-deprived due to this, and now I am willing to stop fully. But by natural means, she is not ready to let go. She will keep crying until I feed her. I am at my wit's end here. I have a son who weaned when he was 2.5 years old. I took medicine for weaning, and it did not trouble me. Milk dried with a tablet which was prescribed by a gynecologist.

Please help. I am willing to take medication to dry up my milk supply. Please guide me on how to wean her at night. And if nothing works, please prescribe medicine to dry up the milk. Please also let me know if it is harmful in any way.

Thanks.

#

I understand your issue. It is common at this age. You may try the following methods.

1. Using a bottle at night- Let the child keep feeding on the bottle itself. Do not breastfeed the child at night, even if she keeps crying. The child may initially cry and get angry for three to five days, but eventually, it should subside once the child learns. This step is a bit extreme, and if you are not comfortable with it, you can skip to the next two steps.

2. Keeping the child in a different bed also helps. That way, the child realizes faster that it will be difficult to breastfeed that way. Again, this step takes time but usually works.

3. Another way that usually helps is explaining to the child that you are getting hurt, and it is paining at night. Hence you will give the child bottle feed but will be unable to give breastfeed at night. The child can be explained that the same can be compensated in the day and that the child can get little breastfeeding in the day. This step takes time but usually works.

|