Q. My son is 17 months old. Shall I continue breastfeed?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

My son is 17 months old. I am a working mom. My son was on breastfeed till two days back. Of late, my son has stopped eating breakfast, because he sucks milk the whole night. For the past few days, he eats only two mouths of food in the afternoon and night. We tried everything like changing the taste, texture and type of food. My sister suggested me to stop breastfeeding, so that he will start eating food. And, I did the same. My son literally cried for two nights and yesterday, he was quite fine. But, his food intake is the same. I am emotionally feeling very bad. Whenever I lay down, he kisses me for milk. He hugs me and looks at me in a sad way. Some of my office peers suggested me to feed him milk for 2 years. What if he still does not eat food? At least before I was relieved he was breastfed. What should I do? Shall I continue feeding him for another six months?

#

• Mother's milk should be continued till 2 years of age. So, the breast milk is supposed to be continued.
  • However, along with breast milk homemade food is also supposed to be given for weaning purpose.
  • Please try and find out what he likes at home and provide him that, so that he is satisfied and then somehow leaves breast milk.
  • I have had a few patients whose children were breastfed beyond 2 years of age. With the passage of time this habit stops as the child becomes more active and the energy required for the daily activity is not met by breast milk.
  • Hence, continue breast milk along with home food how much ever he wants. Try to find out what food he likes most and provide him that.
  • As far as his weight is concerned, his weight seems normal for 17 months old. So, whatever he is feeding is sufficient for him.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|