Q. What is the reason for inadequate breast milk secretion?

Dr. Anindya Das
Published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 30 year old woman. I have a three months old baby. I am giving formula milk for my baby from the first month, because from the beginning I did not have adequate milk secretion. Also, I am breastfeeding three to four times a day in between. As I had cold and light fever I stopped breastfeeding for two days thinking it will also affect my baby. After that my milk secretion has almost stopped. Even my baby is also not sucking from me. Now, I have recovered from the flu, but still I did not get back to my normal secretion. Not even 10 mL of milk is getting secreted. I have tried eating fenugreek, garlic, oats meal and lots of water. But, nothing has worked. I am really stressed because of this. I am not even able to breastfeed my baby for three months. I am worried. Please help me and advise accordingly. Thank you.

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You really have a serious problem.

• Lactation usually depends on sucking reflex. As the baby sucks the nipple it produces a hormone called prolactin in the mother's body which is responsible for milk secretion and this forms a cycle.
  • As you have stopped breastfeeding, your body has stopped producing prolactin.
  • Though difficult, but the only way it can come back if you continue to put your baby in either of the breast alternatively while breastfeeding.
  • Initially, it will not be produced much. But over the time, there is a chance for it to come back. So, keep patience.

For further information consult a lactation counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/lactation-counselor

| 

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Ask a Lactation Counselor Now