Q. What is the reason for inadequate breast milk secretion?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 30 year old woman. I have a three months old baby. I am giving formula milk for my baby from the first month, because from the beginning I did not have adequate milk secretion. Also, I am breastfeeding three to four times a day in between. As I had cold and light fever I stopped breastfeeding for two days thinking it will also affect my baby. After that my milk secretion has almost stopped. Even my baby is also not sucking from me. Now, I have recovered from the flu, but still I did not get back to my normal secretion. Not even 10 mL of milk is getting secreted. I have tried eating fenugreek, garlic, oats meal and lots of water. But, nothing has worked. I am really stressed because of this. I am not even able to breastfeed my baby for three months. I am worried. Please help me and advise accordingly. Thank you.

#

You really have a serious problem.

• Lactation usually depends on sucking reflex. As the baby sucks the nipple it produces a hormone called prolactin in the mother's body which is responsible for milk secretion and this forms a cycle.
  • As you have stopped breastfeeding, your body has stopped producing prolactin.
  • Though difficult, but the only way it can come back if you continue to put your baby in either of the breast alternatively while breastfeeding.
  • Initially, it will not be produced much. But over the time, there is a chance for it to come back. So, keep patience.

For further information consult a lactation counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/lactation-counselor

|