Q. Am I suffering from tuberculosis? Please clarify from my CT report.

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

My recent chest x-ray showed some suspicious infiltrates in the lung. I am currently under thyroid cancer treatment. I got two CT scans done for both neck and chest. I have attached both reports here. Please help me in clarifying few terms which I did not follow. I would like to know, what is wrong with my scan? And also suggest if any tests are needed. I have a history of shortness of breath along with thyroid cancer. The technique they used was non-contrast axial 256-multislice CT scan of the chest which was performed using 3 x 1.5 mm slices. The findings were as follows. There is no pericardial effusion and no sign of discrete pulmonary nodule. The heart is not enlarged. There is no endobronchial lesion in the trachea. Esophagus is intact. There is no enlarged mediastinal lymph node. Linear densities in the middle lobe and inferior segment of the lingula give an impression of atelectasis. There is no sclerotic lesion present.

Regarding CT scan of the neck, the technique used was non-contrast axial 256-multislice CT scan of the neck that was performed using 2 x 1 mm slices with coronal and sagittal reconstruction. The findings are 1.3 x 1.3 x 1.7 cm rim calcified nodule in the left thyroid lobe and the right thyroid lobe is unremarkable. The nasopharynx, oropharynx, hypopharynx, larynx, submandibular and parotid glands are all normal. The prestyloid parapharyngeal space is maintained. No evidence of enlarged lymph nodes. The oral cavity and floor of the mouth are normal. The cavernous sinuses and visualized brain parenchyma are unremarkable. A convex shaped soft tissue density is seen within the left maxillary sinus. Both mastoids are properly aerated and there is no sign of any bone destruction. Kindly help.

#

•  I went through both your CT scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • According to your CT report, there is no defect in the lungs. It only shows collapse in certain parts.
  • As you have mentioned you are currently under treatment for thyroid cancer it might be as a result of cancer treatment or because of your advancing age.
  • From your history, your breathlessness and back pain can be due to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
  • CT scan shows an obvious thyroid lesion.

Tiotropium inhaler two puffs once every morning.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Am I suffering from tuberculosis based on my CT scan results? Please guide.

#

• Tuberculosis is not at all a possibility. So, you need not worry.
  • As I suggested previously, just continue with Tiotropium inhaler two puffs every morning and continue with your regular cancer treatment.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|