Q. My mom is suffering from breathlessness for a month with disturbed sleep. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2020

Hello doctor,

My mom is suddenly getting breathless for about a month. It never happened before. Now, the shortness of breath has increased a lot and she cannot even sleep all night. Please help. She is 46 years old.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand ur concern. According to your statement, she has been suffering from breathlessness for one month and it becomes worsen while she is lying. Sudden breathlessness can occur in asthma, heart failure, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), interstitial lung disease, pneumonia, psychogenic problems like anxiety, etc. At first, we should find out the cause for which she is suffering now.

In case of nocturnal asthma, patient suffer from breathlessness, chest tightness, etc., more at night. But you do not mention if she had past history of asthma, allergic rhinitis or repeated respiratory tract infections. Again we do not know about her physical structure like lean and thin or healthy, her occupational history, environmental history like living status, cooking history, history of fever or sudden weight loss history or hypertension history or is there any added sound with her shortness of breath.

You did not mention, is there any swelling in her ankle or face or any parts of the body? Her nature of breathlessness is constant or not, that means is she suffering more at night than day? Become weak or breathless after light exercise? Is her chest movement is restricted or not?

If she is obese then she can be suffered from obstructive sleep apnea. She should undergo CXR, pulse oxymetry, ECG, monitoring blood pressure, etc. For her breathlessness, she should be placed on propped up position during her sleeping time along. By using nebulization with salbutamol solution (Saltolin) along with inhaler Azmasol (two puffs four times a day) and Inhaler Iprasol (two puffs two times a day) with weight reduction and BP monitoring she can get some relief.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

I have congestive heart failure with EF at 42. Will this get normal with healthy diet?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 50 year old man who worked out six days a week. About six weeks ago, I had chest pain and went to a hospital. I was admitted after having three blocked arteries, at 99, 93 and 88 percent, and successfully had three stents put in. Since released, I have turned to a vegan...  Read Full »

How to treat breathlessness in a metastatic breast cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is oxygen dependent because of pleurodesis since 1 month. She is suffering from breathlessness after talc pleurodesis. She has metastatic breast cancer with distant spread to the lung and liver. There is residual pleural effusion along with bilateral lower lobe consolidation. ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.