Q. Please suggest a cure for breathlessness while sleeping.

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

My nephew 16 years old is getting breathlessness for 10 to 15 seconds while sleeping for the last 20 days. Our doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics and it is finished. The problem is still the same. Our house is located just beside a busy and dusty road. Please help and give your valuable suggestion.

#

I understand your concerns.

From what you mentioned, most likely your nephew has sleep terror disorder in which he experiences attacks of racing heart eats, rapid breathing, and may be sweating. It is important that he has no memory of it and he is difficult to be awakened during the attack.

Generally, treatment is behavior change like continuous reassurance and avoiding any family disputes in front of him and not to watch TV late in the night. In severe cases, some medications may be required. It is important to exclude any associated medical problem. Is he epileptic? Asthmatic?

I recommend that you follow up in order to exclude serious conditions and to confirm the diagnosis. Wish him all well-being.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|