Q. Why do I have breathlessness and pain in the chest?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I had breathlessness a few months back. I visited a doctor, and he had done a CT scan which showed some air around my heart, and he gave me some medicines. But sometimes I feel pain in my chest and sometimes pain in my shoulder. But still, I am facing breathing problems. I did not have similar issues in the past. I am using Symbicort 80/4.5 inhaler. Kindly help.

#

Your ECG (electrocardiogram) reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) shows the persistence of S waves in lateral precordial leads, which may be due to heart chamber enlargement or lead misplacement. Please consult a pulmonologist for pneumomediastinum (abnormal presence of air or another gas in the mediastinum), to know why it occurred, and whether it has resolved or not. Also, ask him to formally assess your obstructive airway disease with spirometry (the most common type of pulmonary function or breathing test). If he clears you off the above-mentioned condition, then I would suggest the following tests done:

1) Echocardiography.

2) NT-proBNP (N-terminal pro b-type natriuretic peptide).

I am a football player. The doctor said it was due to a hit on my chest or neck. I do not think it is resolved yet. He gave me medication for one month because I was not taking medication properly before. Now, is there any issue to worry about? Please confirm, doctor.

#

Regarding your ECG findings, they are not dangerous but are not said to be normal. You have a breathlessness issue. This breathlessness can be due to pneumomediastinum, due to asthma, or due to a left ventricular enlargement. That is why I suggested both of the tests mentioned above. First, visit a pulmonologist to exclude pulmonary causes as these seem to be more likely.

Thanks.

|