Q. Is there any permanent cure for frequent bouts of respiratory infection in a kid?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

This query is regarding my 4 and a half-year-old son. He was born at 36.1 weeks and progressed normally. At around 2 years of age, he used to get frequent bouts of running nose and cough. He was hospitalized for lower respiratory tract infection at 2.7 years, and had febrile convulsions at 2.9 due to stomach infection. He still continued getting bouts of cold, cough, and fever approximately every month.

He began going to school, and his frequency of falling ill increased. Now, he is on a nebulizer, taking Budecort 0.5 mg respule twice a day along with Lazine M dry syrup, as suggested by his pediatrician. He weighs 15 kg. Pls advise if these respules are safe for him.

We could not take him out if it is cold or rainy and even the AC does not suit him. He has been advised not to have milk and milk products like cheese, paneer, etc., as a result, he is not putting on weight. What is the permanent solution for his health problem? Will he improve? Is there any other treatment? Is homeopathy safe? How do I increase his immunity as he falls quickly to changing weather conditions?

I would be extremely grateful to you as this is causing me a lot of worries. Thank you.

#

Thanks for writing your query to me.

I can understand that you are very much concerned about the health of your son. From your history description, it seems that your son has bronchial asthma.

Asthma usually occurs from exposure to the allergens in our surrounding environment. The main treatment of asthma is inhaler medicines like Budecort Inhaler 200. Instead of giving him daily twice nebulizer, I will recommend you to start him on Budecort Inhaler via Zerostat-VT Spacer two puffs twice daily followed by gargling with water. And Levolin inhaler two puffs as required in an emergency.

On a long term basis, inhaler medicines are not as harmful as they are having fewer side effects than tablets and syrups. Also, as they act at the site of action, a very minimal dose of medicine is required.

Try to find out the allergens in his surroundings and avoid them as much as possible. There is no need to deprive him of dairy products such as milk, cheese, or paneer unless he cannot tolerate them. He needs to give it as it is the most important source of calcium and required for weight gain.

Nebulization with Budecort is only to be given when he is unable to take inhaler by mouth. Do not forget to rinse the mouth with water after taking inhaler or nebulizer. No other therapy is better for optimal control of asthma as there is no cure for it. Homeotherapy also cannot cure asthma in the long run as there is no scientific evidence for it.

I hope everything is clear to you now.

|