Q. My daughter has a wheezing, dry cough, and difficulty breathing. Need help.

Dr. Radela Yvonne Cortes
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My 8-year-old daughter had an allergy then it got worst. She began to cough with phlegm, which resolved with Mucosolvan, but she got wheezing and a dry cough and had difficulty breathing that exacerbates during the night. Still, she is fine during the day with occasional coughing. She expels thick but clear sputum and had nebulization for five days and OTC drug Asfrenon-GF for seven days. She also has a previous history of asthma. Currently, she is taking Duavent and Alnix.

#

From what you have shared with me, I think your daughter has uncontrolled bronchial asthma. May I ask if she has a history of any allergy to food or medication? Does she sneeze a lot or have a running nose? Was she ever diagnosed with allergic rhinitis?

For now, I suggest to give her:

1. Levocetirizine and Montelukast (Zykast) one tablet after dinner for one week.

2. NAC (N-acetylcysteine) (Fluimucil) 100 mg sachet mix in 50 ml water three times a day for one week (to loosen the phlegm).

3. Nebulize at bedtime with Duavent (Ipratropium Bromide and Salbutamol) nebule for one week (may nebulize every four hours if needed).

If there is still no improvement in three to five days, it would be best to have a physical visit with your doctor so she can be adequately examined. By the way, try to get rid of stuff toys and avoid exposure to dust, pets, and pollens. Change bed linens every week. Do not use fabric conditioner on her clothes, no perfumes, powder, or scents.

|