Q. Does coughing blood mean lung cancer?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Aug 31, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

I have reduced smoking. From past 30 days, I have only smoked maybe 10 to 12 cigarettes and trying to quit smoking. I had a dry cough but it was gone but sometimes I do a cough maybe three to four times in whole 24 hours. But while brushing my teeth today I was cleaning my tongue, I coughed up blood in my spit and then I went to really polluted area dust and smoke of burning tier. I was not able to breathe. Literally not able to breathe. So, I came home on purpose I coughed blood again and that cough was really from inside. I am scared is this lung cancer? But no pain in chest not breathless while running or anything. I am totally fine. No weight loss, I feel hungry. I am totally fine. Please help.

#

I understand your concerns. Coughing up bloody sputum could be caused by many conditions like bronchitis, pneumonia, TB (tuberculosis), or lung cancer. Unfortunately, all these conditions are exacerbated by smoking. Your age, how much do you smoke and for how long? Have you experienced fever recently? Any phlegm?

The cough you experienced is due to chronic bronchitis which is very common for smokers. Coughing could be a simple cause of spitting blood. ( sputum with blood streaks). I suggest that you perform chest X-ray to exclude the serious conditions of coughing up bloody sputum. Send me the X-ray for interpretation). For further advice, I recommend that you follow up. Wish you all well-being.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is it normal to feel tired and sleepy when recovering from bronchitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am recovering from bronchitis and a viral infection. I had high fever and cough, but not much sputum. I took Cefoprim antibiotics. It has been two weeks now. I still have a cough and feeling very tired. I also feel very sleepy. Please tell me if this is expected.  Read Full »

I have suffered with tuberculosis(Koch's disease)last year. Now I am getting the same disease back.

Query: Hi, I was suffering from tuberculosis (Koch's disease) a year back which got cured. And now I think, I am getting the same disease back. What should I do?  Read Full »

I have low immune system and get bronchitis and sinusitis often. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting bronchitis and a sinus infection every two months. It is so bad when it happens, I am put on antibiotics, steroids medicine, plus two inhalers. My doctor is starting to say I have asthma. I am 18 years old and I have never had problems breathing, believe me, I was a...  Read Full »