Q. I am coughing up green phlegm. Why?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

I have been coughing up green phlegm for a few days. Now, it started to hurt my chest. Please help.

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

I understand very well the symptoms you describe above in your query.

• Productive cough, especially when mucus turns gray, yellow or brown indicates a bacterial infection of your respiratory tract.
  • In too many cases, high temperature is also found. You have chest pain too, which makes the diagnosis more specific about the location of the pathology.
  • So, I am talking about acute bronchitis. It may have started as a simple viral infection and now a bacterial one is over it, which has complicated your situation.
  • Anyway, there is a solution about this condition. First, I would recommend a chest x-ray for a better evaluation. Auscultation of your lungs would be necessary.
  • Regarding the treatment, I would recommend you a cure with antibiotics and mucus expectorants. So, a combination of Clarithromycin and Bromhexine would be enough for me as a good start.
  • Vitamins would increase your body immunity and help you to recover faster. Have plenty of liquids and maintain a light diet. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|