Q. I am not gaining muscle mass though I take fatty foods. Why?

I eat chicken every week two to three times but I did not get the fat. My weight is 60 kg and my age is 19 years but everything which I eat is like a cold drink which is helpless for me.

#

I understand you want to gain mass to your lean body. A combination of right diet and right exercise can help you gain mass at the right places without becoming fat also. It is important to develop mass at the right place so that you put on weight healthily and look good as well.

Your BMI (body mass index) is less than what is required for your physique. However, there is no cause to worry. You are a tall young man in your teens (19 years), hence you would have attained your sudden growth spurt a year or two back. Understand that boys grow suddenly in their late teens when they do not put much weight and hence appear very slim. That is what has happened in your case.

For gaining mass, your dietary intake should be more than what the body burns. Also, you must do adequate weight training to improve your muscle strength. To improve your weight follow these suggestions.

1. Take two whole eggs in the morning and two egg whites in the evening. You may increase egg whites in the morning or evenings to a maximum of four or five.

2. Drink plenty of milk and eat nutritious healthy home food.

3. When eating non-vegetarian food prefer boiled meat to fried items. Fish is healthier than other meat.

4. Drink at least four to five liters of water daily, even during winters when you do not feel thirsty.

5. Buy some weights at home and start working out. Find out the right exercises for you, you may find it on the internet various home exercises catering to specific muscle groups.

6. When you exercise one muscle group, give it rest for two days which you may exercise some other muscle group.

7. You may even enroll in a good gym with a physical trainer or instructor who can guide you with exercise machines and what exercises you must do.

8. Before work-out and after work-out take a protein shake (or a milkshake in the beginning days).

9. Incorporate a lot of fruits, vegetables, greens, and salad in your daily diet, so that you consume a balanced nutritious diet complete in every way.

You can get detailed advice regarding diet if you contact a dietician who we have in our panel in iCliniq itself. They can guide you with the right protein powders, the ingredients in a diet for gaining mass at your age.

| 
1 out of 1 likes