Q. I have small bumps around the base of my uvula. Is this cancer or lymphoid tissue?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

I have noticed some small bumps or swellings around the base of my uvula. I have attached the pictures, and I am very scared that this may be cancer, or is it lymphoid tissue? I do have a postnasal drip. I suffer from anxiety and dealing with my father's death, so at the moment, my anxiety levels are high. I currently take tablet Venlafaxine 75 mg.

#

Your throat shows significant congestion and dilatation of blood vessels around the uvula and tonsils (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). There is significant swelling of the uvula too. There is an enlargement of lymphatic tissue (pharyngeal lymphatic bands scattered all around the pharynx) at the base of the uvula. Causes of such lymphatic enlargement are generally due to acid reflux or due to allergy. In fact, we do not see any cancer arising from that area. So you can wait for few days so that they resolve spontaneously. If at all you have any symptoms of acid reflux, you can start using OTC (over-the-counter) medicines such as Gaviscon (Aluminum hydroxide and Magnesium carbonate) 15 ml three times a day immediately after food for a week.

|