Q. I got small red bumps near my genitals after shaving. Kindly help me.

Dr. Shama Naaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I shave near the genital area. I feel like I shaved against hairs down near the penile shaft. I noticed small bumps, tried squeezing them, and it seemed to irritate them. There are three blister or nodule bumps present.

I am concerned about what they are? It has been like a week. They look like ingrown hair nodules from online pictures, but I also noticed those same pictures look like other not-so-good things. I am attaching the pictures for your reference. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Lesions seen are present near the root of the penis (attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity). Multiple pink-colored papules are there.

Can you tell me, please, if these bumps are centered around hairs? Or are they devoid of hairs?

Also, if there is any pain or itching in them?

Please answer the questions for better help.

There is no pain or itching associated. I cannot tell if there are hairs inside the capsules, but I can tell you it is in an area where I used the razor against the hairs. I think I irritated them when I squeezed them. I have not touched them since. I have not had sex in close to two years. Another doctor thinks these are razor bumps gone bad and recommended Elocon cream at night with talcum powder during the day. I could not find this, so the pharmacist recommended Hydrocortisone. What are your thoughts on diagnosis and treatment? Kindly help me.

#

Can you please tell me if these bumps were already there before shaving, or they developed some days after shaving? If they have appeared after shaving, then there is a probability of ingrown hair or frictional dermatitis.

Here are some tips for you to avoid ingrown hair:

1) Wet your skin with warm water and use shaving gel.

2) Shave in the direction the hairs are growing.

3) Use as few strokes of the razor as possible.

4) Rinse the razor after every stroke.

5) Hold a cool, wet cloth to your skin after shaving to reduce irritation.

6) Use an exfoliating scrub to help release any trapped hairs.

7) Do not shave too close. Leaving some stubble can stop bacteria from getting in.

8) Do not use a blunt razor use a new, sharp, single-blade razor every time you shave.

9) Do not scratch, pick or squeeze ingrown hairs, as this can damage your skin and lead to infection.

For treatment, I suggest you apply a mild steroid cream to relieve inflammation. Since you are already using hydrocortisone cream, you should apply it for one week and then tell me about the response.

And follow general skincare like avoiding friction and pressing or touching, using a soft towel to dry after cleaning the area, and examining the lesion for any changes in color or surface.

You should also get a dermoscopic examination done to rule out the possibility of a viral wart. It is an imaging technique, and it is non-invasive.

So just to be sure, you should try to have this test done by a dermatologist.

I hope this was helpful.

|