Q. I have bumps on the back of my throat. Will it be a sign of HPV?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I am a 24-years-old female. I am a non-smoker and occasional drinker. I have had bumps at the back of my throat for almost six months. I do not have any symptoms except the feel of something stuck in my throat. I thought it to be cobblestone throat, but I am worried it might be HPV. I got my HPV vaccine this month. I am taking vitamins daily, and I have just stopped taking Omeprazole for acid reflux.

Would you tell me if it is HPV or not?

#

As per your throat picture (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), it seems to be congested with few bumps and not HPV (human papillomavirus).

It is most commonly seen in laryngopharyngeal reflux and pharyngitis.

As you do not have any symptoms, no need to worry.

Watch out for signs like persistent throat pain, blood in sputum, constant foreign body sensation, difficulty eating, or swelling in the neck.

If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, then you can do a nasopharyngolaryngoscopy.

Also, there is newer technology like narrow-band imaging, which can give detailed information about the lesion.

I hope this will help you.

|