Q. What does red to white bumps on the tonsils indicate?

Dr. Akshay B K

I have had a postnasal drip for over ten years, and about five years ago, I started paying attention to my throat and noticed bumps that are the same color as my throat on my tonsils. These bumps have slowly grown in size over the five years, and my tonsils look asymmetric. Although there is no pain, they have white specks on both sides. I have a picture if you need it for reference. These bumps were all present five years ago but have become slightly larger. I have included a picture from four years ago for reference and a recent picture from last week to compare the two. Kindly help.

#

I have read your query, and there is no need to worry about it. I have reviewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and will help you with your condition. Whatever you see directly behind your tonsils is called the posterior pharyngeal wall. The small white to red bumps are granular pharyngitis usually seen in people prone to allergies. This is a common condition, so a few steps will help you.

1. Avoid citrus fruits, bananas, and curds.
  2. Quit smoking if you do it.
  3. Do salt water garling three times a day.
  4. Take one antihistaminic tablet at night (Cetrizine or Levocetrizineor Ebsatine).

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medicines with their consent.

I hope this information helps you.

Thank you so much for your reply. Is it okay if I have these bumps since they have grown in size over the five years and are not quite large compared to the first picture? The second picture was taken about a week ago. I will follow your advice on salt water gargling and antihistamine medications.

#

Yes, it is quite normal to have increased size of the posterior pharyngeal wall bumps. They are nothing but a submucosal collection of the lymphatic cells, which are usually the first responders to any allergen, bacteria, or foreign substance. So its increase in size would be due to exposure to allergens, which is why I suggested you avoid citrus fruits, bananas, curds, and yogurt. And salt water gargling helps prevent the colonization of bacteria there. Do not worry until it causes pain or difficulty in swallowing.

|