Q. What is the reason for the bumps on the back of my throat near my tonsils?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I have had bumps at the back of my throat next to my tonsils for more than two months. I am worried.

Kindly help.

#

In the pictures sent by you, your back of the throat is congested with few bumps, which are the feature of pharyngitis (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). It will resolve after your inflammation subsides.

If it does not improve or worsens, then I suggest you take the following medications;

1) Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for five days.

2) Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg or Ibuprofen 400 mg once daily as and when required.

3) Kindly gargle with Povidone Iodine 1% in warm water.

It will resolve within three to five days.

Thanks for your reply.

However, my throat has been like this for the last two months and has not improved. So what should I do?

Thanks.

#

In the pictures, it seems to be an acute reaction than a chronic one. This might have been aggravated recently. If this has persisted for two months, the bumps are associated with laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR).

In that case, I suggest you to the following medication and precautions;

1) Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg and tablet Montelukast 10 mg once daily at night for two weeks.

2) Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily on an empty stomach for two weeks.

3) Avoid lying on the bed atleast for two hours after a meal.

4) Kindly watch for the signs of acid reflux and allergic reactions.

5) Avoid spicy and oily food.

I hope this will help you.

|