Q. I have bumps present above my tonsils in the throat. What could it be?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I have a problem with my throat. Can you check the bumps present above my tonsils in the throat? I have attached my complete blood count report. I also have lymph node raised in the neck on the right and left side shoulder, so my body is fighting with something. Current symptoms are sore, redness, inflamed throat, and tight feeling when I swallow. Is left tonsil lower than right? Also, I feel dry throat all the time. These strange bumps circled in the picture along with red throat are my concern.

#

From the picture, I can see a slightly congested posterior pharyngeal wall along with tonsillar region (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bumps you are referring to are small tonsillar cysts which do not carry any significance. They are benign and are not a cause to worry. The tonsils are only slightly enlarged and hence do not need any removal.

How long will they take to go? I have them for the past four months. Should I be concerned with my blood test results? I feel that my body is fighting with something.

#

Lymph nodes in the neck, particularly along mandible, are not a cause of concern unless they are significantly large. A node even up to 1.5 cm may merely be a reactive node. Your blood tests are fine, and so do not worry. Regarding your throat, there are certain things which you should avoid, like smoking, overeating of fried, smoked, and spicy foods. Consume plenty of fluids, and take care of any reflux if you are under PPIs (proton-pump inhibitor). Rhinosinusitis can also be a cause. So taking care of these things will be of help.

|