Q. What causes bumps on the back of tongue and throat?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

21 years old, female. Today I noticed some bumps on the back of my tongue and another bump I noticed at the back of my throat. I have no idea how long this has been going on for as it does not cause me any pain. I had my last dental check-up about 6 months ago so I know it has developed sometime after then.

#

1. I have seen the picture you have attached along with the complaint (attachment removed to protect patient identity).Unfortunately the picture of your tongue swelling could not be downloaded but I saw the picture of the back of your tongue.

2. That tiny little portion right at the center and back of your tongue is called uvula and it is a part of the soft palate which is the entry to your pharyngeal tube (airway).

3. I do not see any reddish coloration or swelling in it and it looks absolutely normal.That is the part which gets itchy when you have sore throat. Even if you encounter inflammation and swelling of the uvula ,it is mostly due to sore throat or simply dry mouth.

4. In that case, drink more fluids (sugarless) to keep yourself hydrated and you will be relieved soon.

5. Otherwise there is no abnormal findings I could see and you are completely alright. Thanks and regards.

|