Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have small bumps on the genital and base area without symptoms. Could this be Fordyce spots?

Answered by
Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 24-year-old male. I am experiencing some bumps and small spots on my genital and around the base area of it for more than 10 days. I checked it with the images of herpes and other STDs. They are not alike but I am worried about the spots. I have no other symptoms like fever, itchiness, tingling, or any kind of pain around there. I had safe sex almost six months ago and my partner has no symptoms of any STD. Please help.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology


Welcome to

I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a viral infection. You need to plan for antiviral medication. Maybe your partner was asymptomatic. Do investigation for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 so we can be sure. In the meantime start antibiotics.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I talked to my partner and confirmed that she has not gone through any of such conditions like bumps or spots. I had sex six months ago, can the infection occur after such a long time? What viral medications and antibiotics should I use? Can they be Fordyce spots?

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology


Welcome back to

It is not only from your partner, you can acquire infection from other sources too like public toilets, hotels, etc., or infected person can be asymptomatic too. Antiviral cannot not be started without doing investigation, so we can plan for HSV test.

Starting an antibiotic is not an issue. You can use tablet Doxy 100 mg twice a day for five days after food and T-bact for local application. It can be Fordyce's spot, that is why we need to do investigation for confirmation.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is the treatment for Fordyce's spots on private parts?
How to get rid of Fordyce spots in penis and corners of mouth?
Can viral infection cause diarrhea in a baby?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What causes a cluster of bumps on the penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years of age. I had unprotected sex and I am having sex with the same partner for more than a year and a half. Suddenly, I got itching sensation and found that I have got itchy bumps on my penis which started clustering together. Later, it healed automatically. I also found when ...  Read Full »

I have red bumps on penis after sex. Is it candidiasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I am 67 kg and 169 cm. I am half black with kind of light skin. Although I have my fiancee, I masturbate a lot before and sometimes I damage my skin under the gland. I can mention maybe since a year or so. I always associate because, in the new place where I live...  Read Full »

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.