Q. I have small bumps on the genital and base area without symptoms. Could this be Fordyce spots?

Dr. Raveendran Sr

I am a 24-year-old male. I am experiencing some bumps and small spots on my genital and around the base area of it for more than 10 days. I checked it with the images of herpes and other STDs. They are not alike but I am worried about the spots. I have no other symptoms like fever, itchiness, tingling, or any kind of pain around there. I had safe sex almost six months ago and my partner has no symptoms of any STD. Please help.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a viral infection. You need to plan for antiviral medication. Maybe your partner was asymptomatic. Do investigation for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 so we can be sure. In the meantime start antibiotics.

| 

I talked to my partner and confirmed that she has not gone through any of such conditions like bumps or spots. I had sex six months ago, can the infection occur after such a long time? What viral medications and antibiotics should I use? Can they be Fordyce spots?

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

It is not only from your partner, you can acquire infection from other sources too like public toilets, hotels, etc., or infected person can be asymptomatic too. Antiviral cannot not be started without doing investigation, so we can plan for HSV test.

Starting an antibiotic is not an issue. You can use tablet Doxy 100 mg twice a day for five days after food and T-bact for local application. It can be Fordyce's spot, that is why we need to do investigation for confirmation.

|