Q. I have painless bumps on my tongue frenulum. Could this be HPV?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I noticed two or three bumps along the frenulum of my tongue, and they are painless. I did not know if these are normal or HPV? I have not had oral sex. Please help.

#

They seem to be abnormal and needs to be investigated if it has been like that for more than two weeks. It does appear to be infective, so use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two. Observe if it gets painful or gets enlarged or increases in number.

Are the lesions present only below the tongue? Or can it be seen on any other region inside the mouth? Do you remember taking any hot or too cold food or even spicy or acidic food?

HPV can only be confirmed by a biopsy if required.

They are not anywhere else in my mouth. They have been there for almost two weeks, and I drink many coffee and energy drinks. I also eat Mexican a decent amount.

#

It may be just some random eruptions like a pimple or due to some reaction to specific food and may go away on its own. It can also be due to an altered diet. Sometimes a too hot or cold item may also cause such blisters. It does appear to be fluid-filled, so no harm in waiting for a couple of weeks more to check if it resolves on its own.

It cannot be HPV (human papilloma virus) unless it shows up in other parts of the mouth as well. So no need to worry.

Observe daily for an increase in numbers or size or gets painful, and let me know.

|