Q. I noticed red bumps under my tongue with something stuck on my throat. What is the reason?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 38 years old with a weight of 69 kilograms and a height of 5 feet 7 inches tall. Before six months, I had a severe dry cough and it got better within a week. I did not take any medicine for it. I also had some ulcers in my mouth and it also got resolved within a week. At that time, I noticed some small red bumps on the back of my tongue. I did not consult anyone due to this pandemic. It has been six months now and I still have it in the same size and it has not reduced or increased in size. I am attaching the picture and please go through it. For the past six months, I feel like something is stuck in my throat.

During early morning, I feel good and when I start eating something, I feel it and I have less pain inside the throat. Sometimes, I have irritation also. Earlier, I used to have this feeling and I gargle my mouth with salt water. After that, it gets reduced. But for the past two months, it is causing irritation in me. I have lost 8 kilograms and I used to maintain 72 kilograms. I went down to 63 kilograms and I am back with 69 kilograms now. I avoid eating nonvegetarian foods and chilies in the food. I am taking pepper instead of it. I am drinking coconut milk once in three days to reduce the wounds. I am a nonsmoker and I do not have the habit of alcohol drinking. I need your help for these two issues. Please help.

#

I have gone through the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bumps present in the tongue are circumvallate papillae. They are present in everybody and in some peoples, it looks apparent in the mirror. The next problem you are facing is due to reflux. It needs a proactive approach and whatever you are doing or taking now is not a correct method to handle it. You need to take some proton pump inhibitors along with some antacid syrup. This should be coupled with some lifestyle changes and dietary changes. It is good to have a video consultation so that we can give you the right advice with a proper prescription. Kindly follow up with a video consultation so that we can help you to solve the problem.

| 

What could be the red lump under the tongue without pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red lump under my tongue. It is looking like a canker sore, but now the white has gone away and seems to have gotten a little bigger. There is no pain. I have had it for over two weeks now.  Read Full »

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »

Is tablet Pansec increasing my father's creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is being treated for peptic ulcer, from the past 15 days. So, he is taking a medicine called as Pansec 40 mg, in the morning and evening. He has also developed slight kidney problems, and his creatinine has raised to 1.6. To rule out renal cancer, the doctor will perform ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»