Q. There is a protrusion under my tongue. Why?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I am a 26-year-old male, I have observed a protrusion under my tongue from the last four days. It is on the right side and has a white dot in between. I am not on any medication and do not smoke or drink. I am very worried. Please suggest what it might be?

#

Could you send a picture to help us understand what it could be? It could be an abscess or an emerging ulcer etc. Is it hard? Is it filled with fluid or hard?

I am attaching the picture. It does not seem to contain fluid. I keep pressing it with my tongue and do not feel it contain any liquids.

#

It seems to be an uncomplicated mouth ulcer (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which can occur anywhere inside the mouth and will go away in about two weeks. Three or four days, it may be a little painful. You can apply an anesthetic gel like Dologel-CT (Choline salicylate, Lidocaine, Benzalkonium chloride) two or three times a day for 10 minutes then wash with warm salt water if possible. No need to worry about it.

| 

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?

Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »

Why is there repeated mouth ulcer in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4 years 9 months old. He is a healthy kid with normal weight (17 to 18 kg). But, he often gets a mouth ulcer. It is quite often like once in two months mainly in his buccal mucosa and inner corner of the lip which touches the primary canine. This hurts him and so he avoids food...  Read Full »

I have sore throat with bumps. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a sore throat for about two weeks now and the wall of my throat has some sort of bumps on it. My tongue as well has bumps on them but they are not painful.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Now