Q. What causes painful red and white bumps on the tongue that hurt on eating hot and spicy food?

Dr. Ranjit Peter

I have had red and white bumps on my tongue for the past week. They are painful, sensitive to touch and hurt while eating hot, cold, and spicy food.

Thanks.

#

Thank you for your query.

The common causes for these localized inflammatory lesions on the tip of your tongue are as follows;

1) Irritation against sharp teeth edges.

2) Accidental burns due to sipping hot liquids.

3) Vitamin deficiency.

4) Minor viral infection.

Before I answer your query, it would be good to know a few more details, as you say the lesions on your tongue are present since last week.

1) Do you have any sharp teeth edges or caries teeth?

2) Is there any history of drinking hot liquids?

The treatment plan is as follow:

1) Apply gel contains Choline salicylate and Lignocaine three times a day locally on tongue tip for five days.

2) Take multivitamin tablets (containing Vitamin B and Vitamin C) once daily for 14 days.

3) Avoid hot and spicy foods for seven days.

4) Maintain good oral and dental hygiene.

Take care.

Traumatic glossitis.

|