Q. What does it mean if I have a lump at the base of the tongue with postnasal drainage?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I am a 62-year-old male in good health. I have had drainage down my throat. And I have been diagnosed with GERD and laryngeal reflux. I have a lump at the base of my tongue, and I have attached the images of it.

Kindly help.

#

As per your concerns, bumps in the back of the tongue in the picture are called circumvallate papillae, which are normal (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

You do not have to worry. However, if you have any symptoms like bleeding from the mouth, you can always get examined by an ENT doctor and do an endoscopy to rule out the cause. And for the laryngopharyngeal reflux and postnasal drip, continue the medication and take steam inhalation.

If possible, you can do nasal wash by using a neti pot with warm salt water, which can help get rid of postnasal drip.

Thanks for the reply.

Is my bump behind the circumvallate papillae? Is it of concern?

Thanks.

#

As per the picture, it seems to be normal and not a sign of concern. Some people can have larger bumps, especially in the case of laryngopharyngeal reflux. You do not have to worry about it unless it is causing any problems like foreign body sensation or bleeding.

|