Burn

How to stop burnt fingers from paining?

Query: I was making Ramen Noodles about 3 and a half hours ago and after it was finished in the microwave (water in the cup put it in for 2:30 makes it just perfect) I decide to go back to my room. Well Hot water spilled of my hand and now 3 fingers (pointer middle and index) are burnt. My pointer is red w...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Don't worry I'll help you with all your concerns. First let's clear your doubt about using ice on burn. Ice application should be avoided as it's direct application to burn area causes vasoconstriction that is blood vessel supplying to that area constrict and blood flow to curb area reduces ...  Read Full »

What ointment to use for a burn injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 2.7 years old, met with a burn injury. Today afternoon, he kept his hand over a hot cooker and got injured. We applied toothpaste immediately and some powder to reduce the burning sensation. Now, after four hours, it has become like a boil. I have attached the image for you...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. I have seen the picture as well (attachment removed to protect patient identity). A blister has been formed, which needs to be punctured and then it will heal quickly. I suggest you to consult a surgeon. You ...  Read Full »

When is a burn considered serious enough to require emergency treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the first aid for burns. Should we run every type of burn under cold water and for how long? Shall we put butter, milk, toothpaste and/or lavender oil on a burn as people believe these things to be true? Does it depend on the severity of the burn, or is this a ter...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all your queries and the answers are: Burns should not be run under cold water. Water with room temperature will be fine. It should be done only for a few minutes until the pain eases for minor burns. Butter, milk or lavender oil are effective an...  Read Full »

Will a curling iron leave a burn scar?

Query: Hello doctor,I burned myself with a curling iron. It did not appear bad at first but a scab is forming. Will the burn leave a scar?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears to be a superficial burn but there is a risk of a superficial scar. It will not be very prominent and can go with time as you grow. I suggest you apply some ointment...  Read Full »

Can Silverex cream be used to treat burns?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a burn injury on my neck and chest area yesterday morning. A layer of skin is off and in some places it is pink in color. There is no blister and no pain. I have had it covered with gauze. When should I remove the gauze? I have been cleaning the area three times a day. In some days...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It will take one to two weeks, if there is no blister. I would advise you to use Silverex cream (Silver sulfadiazine) twice daily and Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid 625 mg thrice daily for seven days in order to prevent any kind of infection and proper healing. For furth...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the degree of burns in the baby injured by boiling water.

Query: Hello doctor, 1 year and 10 months old boy got injured by boiling water, the doctor pricked some of the blisters. The hospital could not say which degree of burn it is, so we are concerned and want to get a second opinion since he is crying a lot and is in pain, the doctor did not advise anything ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This qualifies for approximately 9 percent burns (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The child will need to take some painkiller medications like syrup Crocin DS (250 mg/5 ml), 2.5 ml thrice a day for 3 to 5 days to reduce the pain. As regarding the cream,...  Read Full »

Hot oil splashed and blisters popped. Should I keep applying ice or do anything more?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday while preparing food, a spoon full of hot oil splashed on my hand. Small blisters started popping up, and it started getting more significant. By today morning, the skin around the blisters has become black. I applied ice and cold water and also one over-the-counter cream. P...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and examined your given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems you have developed superficial burn.Take injection Tetanus and use Silverex ointment (Silver Nitrate) local application twice daily for one week after co...  Read Full »

How to treat a burn?

Query: Hi doctor, Four days ago, boiling water burnt my buttocks. I had pain only on the first day. I am using sterile gauze Silver sulfadiazine and Bacitracin antibiotic cream or spray. Today it started paining while changing the dressing. What is the level of burn? I have attached photo for your referen...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a first degree burn as you can see the eroded skin (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Systemic antibiotic is needed along with topical and daily dressing. Stop Bacitracin, as it can cause sensitization in many individuals. Continue Silver sulfadiazi...  Read Full »

I have something on the roof of my mouth. Is it a burn?

Query: Hi doctor, I have something on the roof of my mouth. I am wondering if it is a burn or something else.  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query and I can understand your concern. From the picture, it seems that it is a burn (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But I want to know how long it has been there and if you had anything very hot liquid or food in the past ...  Read Full »

Please let me know some medicine to relieve burn injury pain.

Query: Hello doctor, The patient is a 50 years old female. She had a burn injury on the inner side of the hand three days back. I have attached the picture. Now, the skin over the area is darkened. The thin skin over it has started peeling this morning. She has pain, burning sensation and not able to slee...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is suggestive of a superficial scald, which is a minor burn injury. It seems pretty clean and uninfected. As it heals, there can be a bit of burning and itching sensation. She can use the medicines that ...  Read Full »