Q. I spilled hot water on my fingers. Is there anything I can do to stop the pain?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I was making Ramen Noodles about 3 and a half hours ago and after it was finished in the microwave (water in the cup put it in for 2:30 makes it just perfect) I decide to go back to my room. Well Hot water spilled of my hand and now 3 fingers (pointer middle and index) are burnt. My pointer is red with some bumps. Painful to touch and bend. It’s also slightly swollen. My middle is just red and swollen. My index is just red and doesn’t hurt that much. Worse, The noodles are ruined.

I read on the internet that you shouldn’t ice the burn because it could give tissue damage. I just don’t understand why as I can ice bruises and be perfectly fine. So I ran it under cold water for like 5 minutes. It still hurts. What I want to know is if there is anything I can do to stop the pain and make my self feel better short of amputation... but I’m pretty sure amputation would hurt worse. And I’d also like to understand the “myth” about not using ice. It’s cold right? Shouldn’t it work?

Thank you for answering in advanced,

#

Hello, Don't worry I'll help you with all your concerns. First let's clear your doubt about using ice on burn. Ice application should be avoided as it's direct application to burn area causes vasoconstriction that is blood vessel supplying to that area constrict and blood flow to curb area reduces which causes further damage to that area. Now always put burn area in running tap water or cool water, as running water helps in flushing the toxins produced die to burn. Now keep your finger in tap water of slightly cold water for 30 mins , it will help in reducing the swelling and pain. If blisters occurs then apply antibiotic cream. Take one tablet of ibuprofen or paracetamol for pain. I hope I have solved all your queries. Thanks and stay safe

|