Q. My father is suffering from stiffness and burning sensation in the legs. Is diabetes the cause?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020
My father aged is 62 years, suffering with DM-HTN > 25 years and had right side mild paralysis stroke (PPA) suffering with stiffness and burning sensation in both leg and feets.The recent investigations shows Fasting 90 mg , plbs 216 mg, Lipid Profile and urine examination resulted normal.
Hba1c 8.5 mg, He is now using the drugs Human Mixtard 40 mg ( morning 25 mg, evening 20 units ) , along with eco-sprin gold, neuro kind plus, Gaba power, Telama H 40 mg , Star press ( one per day) , Eliwile 25 mg on SOS.

Please advice the treatment and medication. If any further investigations he should undergo, He recently had Retinopathy for both eyes.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

HI,

Welcome to icliniq

Thanks for posting your Query .

See the stiffness and burning sensation is due to nerve damage ( Neuropathy ) caused due to Uncontrolled Diabetes . A HBA1c of 8.5 means your father's diabetes is very poorly controlled and needs some changes in the dosage . I Advise him to take Human Mixtard (30/70) 32units in morning and 20 units at night . Also Stop Gaba Power and start Tab Pregaba-M 150mg 2 times a day . Also get a Podiatry ( foot testing ) to know the extent of Nerve damage . Repeat his FBS , PPBS after 1 week and revert back with reports . Rest other medications to continue .

|