Q. Does itchy burning pain sensation during urination mean STD?

Answered by
Dr. Karthik Rajan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jun 04, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have itchy burning or pain sensation during urination since last 4 to 5 weeks. Prior to that I had sex with unknown person so I am thinking it could be STDs. The symptoms become more when the urine become more frothy such as after drinking beer or drinking little water. I am really confused and undecided on what to do next or whom to approach as no urologist available near my stay.

Another important point to note is that I did have a bit of burning sensation (during urination) on occasion since childhood but it used to happen only once or twice in a couple of months but since 4 to 5 weeks (as stated above phrase), it has become regular burning sensation every time I pass urine. Here I will mention some symptoms I could experience:

  1. Sometimes finding difficulty in starting urination (due to fear of the pain of course).
  2. Burning or pain sensation during urination. It has become a bit itchy since having sex with an unknown person as described above.
  3. Feeling the frequent or urgent need to urinate.
  4. Sometimes when I try to force urination, seminal fluid with sticky white jelly-like liquid discharge could be experienced.

These are the most imminent symptoms. I had burning sensations on occasion since childhood but it became more and almost every time I pass urine now since having sex with unknown sex partner couple of weeks before. I am 28 years old male. I have gastritis related problem. Right now I am taking medicine only for gastritis, Pan D, and digestion tablet Unienzyme.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query, based on your symptoms, it does appear that you might have either an STD or UTI, both of which are partner sure unprotected sexual contact. I would suggest you visit your local general surgeon or urologist for a detailed clinical examination to confirm, a urine analysis and urine culture and an examination of the discharge from the penis. Based on the reports or clinical findings, you will be started on appropriate antibiotics. There is no cause for undue concern as both conditions are easily treatable. I would also advise you to be cautious in the future about unprotected sexual contact.

For more information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What is the reason for red meatus and burning sensation during urination?

Query: Hi doctor, My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a urinary tract infection which has resulted in some inflammation around the meatus. I would like to know whether you had tenderness in your prostate during an...  Read Full

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection). UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes. Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduce...  Read Full

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Srivastava
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.