Q. What can be the reason for burning sensation and discharge while urination?

Dr. Varunbabu Aucha

Last week I had a burning sensation during urination along with large amounts of discharge. I was informed that I should try Monistat because it seemed like a yeast infection. But it did not help. Two days after that, I noticed bumps in my private areas. Since yesterday, I have developed a sore throat, nausea, vomiting, and a burning sensation in my chest and throat when I try to eat. I consulted the doctor regarding the painful urination and the bumps, and I was prescribed Acyclovir, Nitrofurantoin mono, and Phenazopyridine. Is this sufficient? I have asthma and I have done urine test, blood test and a swab test for the lesion. Kindly help.

#

Burning sensation while urination indicates urinary tract infection (UTI). For this, I suggest taking;

a) Plenty of oral fluids around four to five liters in a day.

b) Continue tablet Nitrofurantoin (as mentioned in the query) twice a day, morning and evening, for five days.

c) Take cranberry juice as it is helpful for urinary tract infections.

d) UTI flush sachets - Take this sachet in one glass of water for three days daily once. If it is not available in your area, then no need.

Burning sensation in the chest and throat indicates acidity-related issues, and sometimes it could be related to tablets you are taking. For this, I suggest taking tablet Pantocid DSR (Pantoprazole 40 mg and Domperidone 30 mg). It helps in relieving acidity and nausea. It should be taken half an hour before breakfast, daily once for ten days.

Tablet Phenazopyridine is used in relieving urinary tract pain. If your pain is not relieved with Phenazopyridine tablet, then you can replace it with tablet Lanol-ER (Acetaminophen extended-release 650 mg) morning and evening for five days.

For yeast-related infections, I suggest;

a) Monistat Vaginal Cream (Miconazole nitrate). This is for vaginal use only.

b) Tablet Flucanozole 150 mg once a week for three weeks.

I suggest stopping tablet Acyclovir and maintaining good vaginal hygiene.

|