Q. I drank hot soup and there is burning sensation from esophagus to stomach. What to do?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Oct 28, 2019

Yesterday I took a mouthful of soup which is extremely hot and I realized it only after swallowing it. It is so hot that I felt like it had been in the microwave for too long. I felt the heat going down my throat, burning from the esophagus into the stomach. I rushed in and drank water, but it felt like the damage was done. Today I am struggling with eating and drinking. The pain down the center of my body is excruciating when I swallow something. I am having constant pain in the middle of my chest and back, sort of under my ribs, and the back of my throat feels like I have the worse sore throat ever. I feel sick all the time. I have two questions. Can I take some Codine to numb the pain, or will this make my stomach worse? What medicine can I take to help my insides heal?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern. When you consume hot drinks, it can irritate the lining of the throat and the esophageal mucosa. There may be small burns, as you know, that happens to our tongue when we have something very hot. There is nothing to worry about. I will advise you to stick to a bland diet for the next three to four days. Any spicy food will make it worse. Have more of cold milk, cereals, and curd. These being cold will soothe the lining while passing through the tract. You can take Paracetamol, for your pain, but only after the food. Also, take Sucralfate two tablespoons twice daily, after food for the next three to five days based on your symptoms. This syrup will form a protective coat around the area that has the lesion and help in healing. You should be feeling better in a couple of days. There is nothing to worry about.

Is there any increased consumption of water in chronic mercury poisoning?

Query: Hi doctor, In the case of chronic mercury poisoning, is there an increased consumption of water? The same question, for chronic fluoride poisoning. Please guide.  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In chronic mercury poisoning, it binds and stops the functions of SH (sulfhydryl-containing enzymes). It also gets deposited and causes cellular toxicity. If the toxic pathology happens in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), then the patient feels burning inflammatory se...  Read Full

What can be done for heartburn and gas problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have heartburn and gas problem. I have burning pain in between chest and stomach. I have feeling of something stuck on throat. I am facing difficulty with continuous burping.  Read Full >>

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your complaints, you are having GERD- gastroesophageal reflux disease. You can undergo endoscopy examination to rule out any upper GI problems. Try the following medicines and review: 1. Tablet PAN D 1 BID before food. 2. Tablet Libarex 1 BID after foo...  Read Full

What shall I do for acidity and stomach burn?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I have an issue with my stomach for the last few months. I had Ponstan Forte (painkiller) for my headache for almost two years. I used to take the tablet in empty stomach usually and rarely after food. About eight months ago, I had stomach burn near stomach mout...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of a possible gastritis. It could be the painkillers that you had has done enough damage. I would suggest that you test with an endoscopy. Meanwhile, start with the tablet Pantocid 40 mg (Pantoprazole) once daily at breakfas...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now