Q. I drank hot soup and there is burning sensation from esophagus to stomach. What to do?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Yesterday I took a mouthful of soup which is extremely hot and I realized it only after swallowing it. It is so hot that I felt like it had been in the microwave for too long. I felt the heat going down my throat, burning from the esophagus into the stomach. I rushed in and drank water, but it felt like the damage was done. Today I am struggling with eating and drinking. The pain down the center of my body is excruciating when I swallow something. I am having constant pain in the middle of my chest and back, sort of under my ribs, and the back of my throat feels like I have the worse sore throat ever. I feel sick all the time. I have two questions. Can I take some Codine to numb the pain, or will this make my stomach worse? What medicine can I take to help my insides heal?

#

I understand your concern. When you consume hot drinks, it can irritate the lining of the throat and the esophageal mucosa. There may be small burns, as you know, that happens to our tongue when we have something very hot. There is nothing to worry about. I will advise you to stick to a bland diet for the next three to four days. Any spicy food will make it worse. Have more of cold milk, cereals, and curd. These being cold will soothe the lining while passing through the tract. You can take Paracetamol, for your pain, but only after the food. Also, take Sucralfate two tablespoons twice daily, after food for the next three to five days based on your symptoms. This syrup will form a protective coat around the area that has the lesion and help in healing. You should be feeling better in a couple of days. There is nothing to worry about.

|