Q. I have burning sensation in stomach with acid reflux and bad breathe. Please help.

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel

I am not sure I am over-stressing, but I have noticed when I drink cold icy water I can feel it go down to my stomach. I hurt my tummy muscle four weeks ago, and still not 100 percent cured. It still burns and I get acid reflux as well my throat is dry and sore. My breath is smelly and I get sinus problem and feel like phlegm is going back down to my throat.

#

As for the feeling of cold water going down your thirst and the acid reflux, both indicate an inflammatory condition esophagitis and gastritis. This can be treated with a proton pump inhibitor Controloc (Pantoprazole) once daily and an antacid Ranitidine before every meal.

The bad breath could be due to inflamed gums or an infection such as H.pylori. So I recommend you get a test for H.pylori infection and consult a dentist to examine your gums. Bad breath can also be due to sinusitis.

Sinusitis can also be the cause of the post nasal discharge (phelgm at the back of your throat) and can be treated with an anti-inflammatory Ibuprofen twice daily and an antihistaminic as Cetirizine or Zyrtec once daily before going to bed for 10 days.

I will go to the doctor and get the medication. I have been taking Quick-eze and Gaviscon. I have sinusitis and allergies and my throat is sore and dry.

#

Both medications are antacids, so they can replace Ranitidine. Still, I recommend that you take the proton pump inhibitor once daily. For dry and sore throat, you need to drink plenty of warm fluids and fresh juices (at least eight cups daily) and you can use throat lozenges to soothe the soreness.

I have to go to the doctor to get a proton pump inhibitor. I had that H.pylori test done and it comes back normal. I have noticed only a cold feeling. Today, I started a new diet as well with two shakes and not much to eat during the day, not sure if thats got something to do with it or not.

#

Over-the-counter proton pump inhibitors include Lansoprazole (Prevacid 24 HR) and Omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid OTC). You can also use H2 blockers as Cimetidine to decrease acid production from the stomach. Increased acid production leads to acid reflux (GERD) which can be the cause of bad breath and cold sensation down the throat.

|