Q. Gums feel irritated after a recent cleaning. How to manage it?

Dr. Akhil K Padmanabhan
Published on Feb 13, 2018

I recently got my teeth cleaned with a water jet type cleaning, by a new hygienist. A few days later, my bottom front gums felt irritated. I took a look, and one gum looked as if it had been cut down toward root about 3 mm below the normal gum line like it was a mistake. I used a peroxide type mouthwash and declined follow up visits to the same dentist because I did not trust the experience of the hygienist. Ever since, I have been trying to treat the gums and also noticed an odor, greying area toward the root, and it has become difficult to manage the irritation. It also looks like a cavity may be present. I have attached a picture.

#

Discontinue the use of peroxide type mouthwash, use a gum paint which could strengthen your gums. Gums may move a little downward after cleaning as the inflamed gums come back to normal size after cleaning and is normal.

However, in the photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like you still have inflamed gums and a consultation with a periodontist is recommended at this time.

The probable causes of inflammation may be an injury during the procedure or incomplete removal of deposits or the use of peroxide-based mouthwash.

Your gum specialist may do a thorough checkup and will be able to tell you if you require another round of cleaning.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a permanent discoloration which cannot be removed by normal means like dental scaling. It needs a treatment called lamineering of the front 4 or 6 teeth as required. In...  Read Full

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity), clinically it is a sign of mild gum infection. Now you can do the following steps to overcome this problem: 1. Take Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day for three days, Augmentin 625 mg twice a day...  Read Full

My gum was accidentally injured during dental treatment. Will it get infected?

Query: Hi doctor,I went to the dentist five days ago for three fillings and he also cut my gum. I forgot what he called it, and I guess it as periodontal. It is burning because of gingivitis. As of two days ago, my gum on the opposite side was swollen and visible when I smile. It hurts to eat, touch, or ev...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The accidental cut of the gums at the dental clinic will not infect the gums. It might bleed for a few minutes and stop. Also, the gums would have been healed by now.The swelling you are talking about should be for some other reason. The description of pain you give makes ...  Read Full