Q. Gums feel irritated after a recent cleaning. How to manage it?

Answered by Dr. Akhil K Padmanabhan and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Burning Sensation Of Gums or Dental Scaling? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I recently got my teeth cleaned with a water jet type cleaning, by a new hygienist. A few days later, my bottom front gums felt irritated. I took a look, and one gum looked as if it had been cut down toward root about 3 mm below the normal gum line like it was a mistake. I used a peroxide type mouthwash and declined follow up visits to the same dentist because I did not trust the experience of the hygienist. Ever since, I have been trying to treat the gums and also noticed an odor, greying area toward the root, and it has become difficult to manage the irritation. It also looks like a cavity may be present. I have attached a picture.