Q. Can you explain the reason behind burning sensation of gums?

Dr. Subha
Published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

Whenever I eat spicy food, I feel some kind of irritation, burning sensation and pain in my gums. I do not have any cavity in my teeth. I got scaling done 2 years back. Once I stop eating spicy food, the pain fades away in few minutes. I would like to know the reason behind it. Please advice me the preventive measures as well.

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Hurting of gums while taking spicy food might be due to the following causes:
1. Gingivitis (swelling and inflammation of the gums) - Swollen gums may be painful and may cause burning sensation and pain while taking hot and spicy food. Gingivitis occurs due to either plaque or other debris accumulating around the teeth and gums. Also hormonal changes occurring during menstrual cycle can cause swollen and painful gums. Any medicines taken for medical issues like hypertension, epilepsy, etc., also cause gum changes and swelling.
2. Any ulcers in the mouth will get hurt while taking hot and spicy food. Ulcers might occur due to faulty tooth brushing techniques, usage of toothbrushes with hard bristles, stress, sharp tooth hurting the tissues, any dental appliances or ill-fitting dentures.
3. Any abscess related to infected tooth might also hurt while taking spicy food. But, you have mentioned that you do not have any cavities or teeth issues. Have you been examined by a dentist regarding this?
4. Any impacted tooth (teeth that remain unerupted due to inadequate space inside the mouth or remain inside the bone itself) may develop swelling of gums around it. When the opposing teeth impinges on this swollen tissue while taking spicy food it gets hurt.
5. Hypersensitivity reactions may occur to certain foods. This might cause swelling, reddening and burning sensation of the mouth. This may occur due to some food additives.
6. Habits like smoking and usage of tobacco products may also cause burning sensation while consuming spicy and hot food.
7. Dental procedures like scaling (cleaning of teeth) might cause minor tissue injuries. These hurt and cause burning sensation while taking hot and spicy food. But, this heals in 4-5 days after cleaning. In your case, this might not be the reason, as you have undergone scaling before 2-3 years.

1. Get dental scaling done, if you have any plaque or calculus deposits causing swollen gums.
2. Get your oral cavity examined by your dentist, for any ulcers, abscesses, infected teeth and impacted teeth.
3. Also get checked for any sharp teeth and any dental appliances or ill-fitting dentures. If found, sharp teeth have to be trimmed and reduced, and ill-fitting dentures and dental appliances have to be corrected immediately.

1. Kindly make a note if you develop any gum swelling, redness or bleeding gums during your periods.
2. Use toothbrushes with soft bristles for brushing your teeth. Also follow the proper brushing technique for brushing your teeth.
3. Make a note whenever your gum hurts and what foods hurt your gums. Check if any food causes the same issue repeatedly. In case, if that food contains some additive that causes hypersensitive reaction, then you may have to avoid that particular food in future.
4.Quit habits like smoking or usage of other tobacco products (in case you do).

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

My lower teeth gum color varies. Please clarify if I have gingivitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I do not know if I have gingivitis. The gums of my front teeth in the lower jaw have a small hint of pale pink. But, on the right side, it shows a hint of a darker pink. Also, my teeth look larger on the back side. Is that normal? Please help me.  Read Full »

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »

My gums are itchy after using mouthwash. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My gums are itchy after eating. I used mouthwash. After using it, I usually rinse my mouth with water. I started to have a burning sensation in my gums after using mouthwash. But still, my gums are itchy.  Read Full »