Q. What causes burning sensation in lower abdomen with nausea?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

I have a burning sensation in the left side lower abdomen (a bit underneath the navel) and nausea for 2 weeks.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well to be very honest I am not convinced with the diagnosis of IBS. IBS does cause a significant pain which is obvious in nature and show characteristic spasm like pain, not the burning you you described. Pain of IBS however, do occur over lower part of the abdomen. The burning nature of the pain suggest may be ongoing urinary tract infection, or a nerve pain within the wall of abdomen not necessarily within the bowel itself. This may be the reason pain is not responding to colofac which is an effective medication to control pain of IBS in among every patient.

I suggest you test urine detail report and ultrasound abdomen with kidney ureter and bladder to exclude if there is underling kidney or ureter stone or infections involving these organs. Take plenty of water making sure you have adequate amount of urine daily. You can continue with Omeprazole if you think this helps in this condition, otherwise you can stop these medications for now. First confirm then I can suggest you some treatment. Meanwhile for burning you can take capsule Pregablin 75 mg at night. It causes increased sleep that why suggested to take at night. This will help nerve and muscle pain.

Nerve entrapment pain
KUB stones, infections

urine detail report and Ultrasound abdomen with kidney ureter and bladder

Cap Pregablin 75 mg at night. It causes increased sleep that why suggested to take at night. This will help nerve and muscle pain.

You can follow up after investigations

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

I have nausea and burning pain in abdomen. Please provide advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 45 kg, 5 feet one inch. I have nausea, slight pain and burning sensation in upper left abdomen, and discomfort on the left side of the abdomen. I am currently on Dolgina, Librax, Calbo.  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »