Q. Please give me suggestion on my elevated C-reactive and cholesterol levels.

Dr. Isaac Gana

My hs-CRP showed I had elevated C-reactive protein. And my cholesterol levels are also above ideal ranges from seven years. My physician recommends 20 mg Pravastatin two times per week and Aspirin to normalize these levels. I am looking for a second opinion. I am athletic, but I have a 25 % BMI and 20 % fat. There is a family history of heart disease. I have also performed basic blood work previously. Please give me your suggestion on this.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. I suggest you take a Statin for at least two weeks with Aspirin. Everything seems fine based on your levels (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). But most importantly, you need to work more on your diet and continue with exercise. Also, do you have any symptoms, such as chest pain?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I recently had some chest pains, but it is not clear if it is costochondritis. I was diagnosed with costochondritis few years back. I think this could be stemming from repetitive stress from surfing, and taking care of my two kids, which involves a lot of lifting and carrying.

#

There is a possibility that it could be costochondritis. The difference between heart-related chest pain and costochondritis is that heart-related chest pain radiates to other parts of the body like the back, jaw, and hand. Also, a history of high cholesterol and a family history of heart diseases can make us suspect it is heart-related. According to your age and family history, I suggest you continue the medication. Being athletic does not at times rule out the chance of heart diseases. It can instead reduce your chances.

|