Q. What are the dark grayish colored patches on my upper four teeth?

Dr. Tinu Thampy

I am a 24 year old female, and I have dark grayish colored patches on the crown of my four upper teeth along the gum line. I can send pictures if you want. Is it periodontitis? I am very scared.

Dr. Tinu Thampy

Dentistry Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Implantologist
#

Thank you for your query.

• The dark gray colored deposits on your teeth is a part of the subgingival calculus. That means, the deposits started long back and irritated the gingiva. The slight bleeding from gums made it stained.
  • This is not periodontitis. But, it is the starting phase of gum disease. This can be reversed by proper scaling and root polishing by a dentist at the earliest. If the treatment is delayed, then it can progress to periodontitis.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »

My lower teeth gum color varies. Please clarify if I have gingivitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I do not know if I have gingivitis. The gums of my front teeth in the lower jaw have a small hint of pale pink. But, on the right side, it shows a hint of a darker pink. Also, my teeth look larger on the back side. Is that normal? Please help me.  Read Full »

Kindly give some insight on how everyday habits affect the teeth.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.  Read Full »