Calf Pain

What could be the reason for my pain and twitching in the calf and thigh?

Query: Hi doctor,I have painful cramps in my calf and thigh, mostly intermittently, for around three months. The twitching started about two months ago in the same leg long before I was anxious about it. I have been to the GP. I am going completely mad with worry over ALS and cannot get it out of my head a...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some details about your symptoms: 1. What is your age? 2. Is your body weight is 30.39 kg with a height of 5.4 feet, or it is the wrong entry in the query? 3. Since when you have hypothyroidism and taking Levothyroxine, and in what dose are yo...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for calf pain and tightness?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past two weeks, I have been having calf tightness in both legs. I am 22 years old and I weigh around 230 pounds. Nothing I do seems to make it go away. Three weeks ago, I went to the hospital for chest pain and they did a D-dimer and it came back negative. I feel the tightness i...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I see you are suffering from calf tightness and pain for the past two weeks. One reason could be due to your overweight. Other, could be blood clot formation in the veins as you are at high risk for it. Or, it could be because of salt imbalance in your body if you are n...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for intermittent calf and chest pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. I am 5'7" and weigh approximately 280 lbs. I am overweight. My question is that I have had this calf pain intermittently ever since I went bowling over a month ago. It comes and goes and the pain is honestly very random when it appears. It does not hurt worse ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your info, I think there are a couple of things I can tell you. I am assuming you have a B/ L (bilateral) pain and aching discomfort and not a sharp localized pain. Some of the causes for your pain are: 1) Most likely you have dehydration. 2) My secon...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for anxiety, swollen lymph node and spasm in calves?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding ALS vs BFS. I have severe anxiety, a kind fo shakes when arms are crossed, swollen lymph node on the left side of neck, sore wrists, muscle spasms in calves, and on outstretch the left arm gets fatigued. I have done MRI, EKG, and MRI cervical spine.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) does not usually cause just fasciculation. It is usually associated to progressive paralysis and muscle wasting in the hands and legs. Other symptoms like troubles with swallowing, ...  Read Full »

After a day of walking around the mall, I am having calf pain. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I just came back from a day walking around the mall. I am having cramping pain in my left calf. It feels like a rubber band is wrapped around my leg. It is better when sitting but hurts when outstretched. I am on Enbrel and previous medical history includes low blood pressure and low chol...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am glad to answer your query. I would have appreciated a reason for having ENBREL (Etanercept), whether RA or ankylosing spondylitis or psoriatic arthritis. The drug have some known neurological side effects along with increase susceptibility to infection. Your cond...  Read Full »

I have calf pain for past six months and MRI shows no abnormal findings. What could it be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I used to run about five km and do cycling about 6 km. I got a calf pain six months ago, though it would get normal in a few days, the pain persists, the MRI shows nothing. The doctors tell everything is fine, but the pain is too much, could not even walk for a few mins continuously. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would be nice if you can share the MRI reports with us so we can comment accurately. In general, without the MRI, I suspect this to be a muscle injury, which is healing slowly. As MRI too have limitations, we have to follow the clinical signs and symptoms and trea...  Read Full »

How can I manage burning pain in calves after exercising?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a constant problem with my calves whenever I do exercise, or even walk up the stairs. I am a keen field hockey player and can run very fast in short bursts, however, within five or so minutes my calves burn even though I do not feel tired. When I massage my calves, they also hurt ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned about the calf muscle pain, this should be related to the footwear you been using. Are you having a flat foot? Also, what type of shoe you are using. As any shoe being used in sports should be flexible and also should be having good material. The har...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in buttock and thigh in an IBS patient?

Query: Hello doctor,This case of suspected IBS is related to my wife who is 34 years old. Symptoms mentioned below in sequence since seven months back are:Stabbing pain in lower part of left butt only which radiated down to the knee. The timing of pain occurrence is not specific, sometimes during the day, ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her symptoms suggest either meralgia paresthesia or nerve compression of L4 L5. Yes, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or gastritis may be associated.In such case, my recommendations would get her an MRI LS spine. Most of the time X-rays do not show nerve compression. I wo...  Read Full »

What is causing the tightness and irritation in my lower legs?

Query: Hello doctor,I have chronic pain at the semimembranosus insertion points in both legs. I have had this for nearly 18 months. I am a runner who over-pronates. More recently I have had tightness and hyper irritation in my lower legs - shins, and calves. I have had a lumbar MRI for a bulging disc which...  Read Full »

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani

Fitness Expert, Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have understood your concern about the pain in the lower leg, semimembranosus. See, semimembranosus is the muscle of lateral hamstring. If you feel pain exactly at the tendon of it, our treatment will be different, like ultrasound therapy. As you mentioned you are...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in leg on moving my foot up and down?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. I was playing basketball with my friend and his knee went hard into the lower outside of my lower left calf. After that, it began to hurt and now it has been about six hours and I struggle to put weight on it. It sends pain down into my foot and ankle and movi...  Read Full »

Dr. Thomas Jefferson

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Start applying cold pack in the place where it hurts. Avoid weight bearing on the injured leg. Weight bearing will aggravate the injury to become more. Avoid movements in the left ankle joint. You might have injured several tissues when you got hit by your friend's knee...  Read Full »