Q. I get intermittent calf and chest pain. Are these signs of DVT or PE?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I am a 24-year-old female. I am 5'7" and weigh approximately 280 lbs. I am overweight. My question is that I have had this calf pain intermittently ever since I went bowling over a month ago. It comes and goes and the pain is honestly very random when it appears. It does not hurt worse with walking or working out and I really notice the pain only if I am not focused on something (I work as a nurse and never notice at work). It is maybe a 3/10 pain. It is not a sharp pain, sometimes it feels like I need to stretch my leg and other times it feels like a burning pain.

I am also having a chest pain intermittently. No short of breath. It changes with positioning. I basically want to know your opinion, do you feel it is a DVT with a PE or that I could have pulled a muscle? I should also note that I just started a new job which gives me a massive amount of anxiety and worry, which I realize does not help with any of this. I am currently taking Norvasc and Lisinopril for hypertension. Please suggest.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

After reviewing your info, I think there are a couple of things I can tell you. I am assuming you have a B/ L (bilateral) pain and aching discomfort and not a sharp localized pain.

Some of the causes for your pain are:

1) Most likely you have dehydration.

2) My second differential would be varicose veins.

3) Medication side effects of your anti-hypertensive drugs.

4) Psychosomatic pain because of stress.

5) If you have a history of coagulation disturbances, then I would suspect something on the lines of DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Take care of your hydration status in consultation with your cardiologist. Most likely this will help. Also, discuss the side effect of your medicines.

Second, get a good sleep and watch out so OSA (sleep apnea).

Third, if these do not help, then work up for varicose veins.

|