Q. Am I at risk of developing cancer after being exposed to CT scan multiple times?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I am 29 years old. Within six months of having a delivery, I have done a head CT, and three chest CT studies to rule out PE. My first PE study was done with a protective shielding on my chest to reduce the radiation to my breasts. I did not have any shielding on my second study. During my third study also, I did not have any shielding. They used a dose on pediatric mode resulting in 6 mSv radiation. I have no plans on receiving a CT again. I am willing to know the risk for having cancer from these scans. I have also done a lung MRIs for monitoring the growth. I would like to know it from a radiologist point. I am worried about developing cancer at this point. I have also done an abdominal and pelvic CT before two years.

#

CT of the head might have given you two mSv radiation. CT of the abdomen and pelvis might have given you 14 mSv radiation. CT scan of the chest might have given you 45 mSv radiation. The total radiation dose received approximately is 61 mSv. You might have an additional cancer risk of 0.842011 %. We have used a standard data to calculate the maximum possible dose. As the dose used was six mSv, then the risk is less. So the chance for having cancer is less.

Is it possible to get cancer after ten years for me?

#

Cancer is a condition where a few abnormal cells start multiplying indiscriminately, and they form a tumor mass in a particular organ. The time taken for the development of cancer is undetectable and the time is unpredictable. Most cancers often occur after 60 years of age. At this age, many people start to have defective cells. It may lose the ability to repair themselves, and this leads to the formation of a tumor. In your case, the radiation dose is very less, and the incidence of cancer due to the radiation is negligible at this moment and ten years is too soon to think of the disease due to radiation.

|